Science is constantly making great leaps forward in the quest to find the meaning of the universe. Its incredible nature is virtually and literally beyond us as human beings with so much hidden to the naked eye that science has brought to the fore. We’ve compiled a short list of amazing facts about the science’s discoveries within the universe that we hope you enjoy:
- 90% of your body is in fact star dust because all the elements except hydrogen and helium are created in the stars.
- According to the best estimates of astronomers, 275 million stars are created every day.
- 10,000 light years away in the Aquila constellation there is a cloud of alcohol 1000 times bigger than our solar system. The amount of alcohol present could serve 400,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000 drinks.
- Ever wished for more time during the day? Scientists have found that Earth’s rotation slows down 1.4 milliseconds every century. When the dinosaurs roamed the earth millions of years ago, they only had an estimate of 23 hours a day. The Fukushima earthquake in 2011 slowed the Earth’s rotation by 1.8 microseconds (1.8 millionth of a second).
- It is popular theory that Isaac Newton discovered gravity by an apple falling on his head while he was lying under a tree. In 2010, scientists sent a piece of that apple tree to space so that it could ‘defy gravity’.
- If you could put many ringed Saturn in a bathtub, it would float as it is a gaseous planet. Its density is 0.687 grams per cubic centimeter while water has a density of 0.998 grams per cm3.
- Known as the Wow! Signal, an unknown message from space was received in 1977 that lasted for exactly 72 seconds. It was notable also because it was 30 times more powerful than the average signal received from space. No explanation has ever been given for the signal but a response was sent back 35 years later in 2012 with twitter messages from celebrities.
- There is a Neptune sized planet called Gilese 436b thirty-three light years away covered in burning ice. The pressure on the planet forces the water on it to become ice however the extreme surface temperature of 300 degrees Celsius superheats the water causing steam
- Finally, if we scaled the entire timeline of the universe into a single year, our own recorded history would only last from the last 14 seconds or from 11:59pm and 46 seconds on December 31st until midnight (now). Of that time period, Moses was born 7 seconds ago, Buddha 6 seconds ago, Jesus 5 seconds ago and Mohammed 3 seconds ago.