The Bitter Gourd Tea is prepared from the leaves and the fruit of the plant. It can be a fusion or a tea made separately from dried fruit and leaves. The potential benefit of drinking this herbal tea is to help regulate digestion and maintain health blood glucose levels. Both the fruit and the leaves are excellent source of vitamin B, iron, calcium, phosphorus and beta-carotene.
Prepare your own dried Bitter Gourd tea
Wash Bitter Gourd and cut into thin slices with seeds intact (not too thin). Dry them directly under the sun. It may take 4-5 day. Let these sun dried pieces cool overnight. Store them in an air tight container. Do not refrigerate.
Health benefits of bitter gourd tea:
• Bitter Gourd is used for centuries in Ayurveda and Chinese medicines for treating diabetes.
• Research shows bitter gourd tea elevates blood sugar levels, stimulating digestion and increasing insulin sensitivity.
• Bitter gourd tea is highly recommended to people suffering from sluggish digestion, dyspepsia and constipation.
• Studies have shown bitter gourd contains anti-malarial properties.
• It’s known to treat HIV/ AIDS infection.
• Regulates fuel metabolism and enables glucose uptake.
• Bitter gourd tea has anti-microbial properties and is known for treating roundworms.
• Good source of vitamin B, iron, calcium, phosphorus and beta-carotene.
Remember eating bitter gourd or drinking bitter gourd tea in moderation is the key to healthy life.
1. Consult your doctor if you’re taking other drugs whose action is to lower BG levels.
2. Care must be taken when used in addition to insulin. Spacing the time of your shots and drinking the beverage will be safe.
3. If you are diabetic, always carry few dried bitter gourd whenever you go out for socials. Request for hot water and you have your bitter gourd tea ready.
4. Pregnant women and people suffering from stomach ulcers are recommended NOT to drink this tea.
5. Do not take bitter gourd with fertility medication.